All BUFCO Raised Garden Beds are made entirely from locally sourced, responsibly harvested Eastern White Cedar, making us Ontario Wood Certified. This beautiful and naturally rot-resistant wood lasts for years without the use of added chemicals or preservatives.
1. Raised Beds bring the garden up to the gardener! One of the most popular benefits of raised garden beds is their added height. This greatly reduces the amount of bending and kneeling required, helping to save your back and your clothes.
2. Raised beds provide excellent water drainage and aeration for superior root development. Open bottomed beds work with the existing soil in the ground, allowing worms and beneficial organisms to populate the bed, bring nutrients, break down dead organic matter and enrich the soil.
3. Raised beds are a great way to fight poor native soil conditions. In Toronto, many property owners are faced with either clay heavy or sandy soil, neither of which are optimal conditions for growing most vegetables. We bring in fresh, rich, weed-free triple mix soil that allows you to forget about the existing soil in your yard, and allows you to grow and eat with confidence, knowing your food is free of chemicals and pesticides.
4. Raised beds enable you to grow more in less space. Great soil promotes deep root growth which means you can grow plants more closely together.
5. Raised Beds give you an extra-early start to the growing season. Wood is a great insulator, leading to more stable soil temperatures, and allows you to warm up your soil when the ground around the beds is still frozen solid.
6. Raised beds provide a sturdy foundation. Unlike beds made from stone, metal, or plastic, cedar beds can accept screws and nails, making it easy to add a trellis (for climbing plants) and other accessories such as critter barriers and our season extending hoop tunnels that protect your plants from hungry squirrels and frosty temperatures.
BUFCO raised beds make a beautiful addition to any yard, terrace, patio, rooftop, or wherever you can imagine growing delicious organic vegetables. These beds are highly adaptable – add a base to retain soil, allowing you to grow on a deck, balcony, patio, rooftop, or driveway. We can even add wheels to make your garden portable!