Seasonal 4-month contract with the possibility of extension.
Downtown Toronto and client locations throughout the City
The Backyard Urban Farm Company is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout Toronto. Our mission is to ignite people’s passion for growing their own food and to help reconnect them with nature.
We are looking for inspired, skilled, creative, energetic, committed, sociable, and self-motivated nature lovers to join us on our quest to make the world a better place, one beautiful garden at a time. If our mission excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you, not only for this season, but for years to come.
Your primary responsibilities as a BUFCO Installer Assistant are to work side by side with the Lead Installer in the assembly and installation of BUFCO designed cedar raised garden beds, help establish in-ground gardens, and work on other softscaping projects. Under the guidance of the Lead Hand, you will maintain and organize the installation truck, assist with tool maintenance and supplies inventory, and keep BUFCO storage and greenhouse facilities organized, accessible, and in good working order.
A valid G-class license and clean driving record is a significant asset for this position.
High school diploma is NOT a pre-requisite for this position.
SKILLS and ASSETS
- Good knowledge of Toronto, able to get yourself to a variety of locations on your own
- Some experience landscaping including laying/removing turf/sod, and grading
- Some familiarity/confidence working with a wide variety of gardening, landscaping, and woodworking hand tools
- An excellent listener, able to take/follow through on direction as given by the Lead Hand
- Able to work both cooperatively in a team, and independently
- Able to recognize opportunities for taking initiative and pursuing self directed tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to interact comfortably with adults and children of all ages
- A creative thinker with a keen eye for aesthetics
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Confident behind the wheel of a variety of vehicles, including small trucks, is an asset
- Able to maintain neat, tidy, and safe workspaces
- Physically fit, able to repeatedly lift and move loads of up to 50 pounds
- Tech and smart phone savvy
- Love of the outdoors, rain or shine
- Photography skills are an asset
- Reliable and punctual
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is beneficial
- Passionate about growing food and the good food movement.
We appreciate the interest of all those who apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.