Gardener, full time contract April to November/December (weather dependent)
Downtown Toronto and client locations throughout the City
The Backyard Urban Farm Company is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout Toronto. Our mission is to ignite people’s passion for growing their own food and to help reconnect them with nature.
We are looking for inspired and inspiring, skilled, creative, energetic, committed, sociable, and self-motivated nature lovers to join us on our quest to make the world a better place, one beautiful garden at a time. If our mission excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you, not only for this season, but for years to come.
Your primary responsibility as a BUFCO Gardener is to work side by side with the Lead Gardener, planting and maintaining beautiful, bountiful, incredible, edible gardens and some ornamental gardens. You will increase your already existing knowledge of organic growing methodologies and sustainable practices, and will help the Lead Gardener guide and coach our clients on basic vegetable garden care.
Vegetable gardening is new to many of our clients who will look to the Gardening Team for information and inspiration. You will provide the highest quality work with great attention to detail, and participate in bringing a strong, unique aesthetic vision to their garden.
You must have a valid G-class license and clean driving record in order to apply for this position.
As the Gardener’s Assistant, you will report to and work side by side with the Lead Gardener, helping with every stage of the workday, including loading and preparing the truck, driving or helping to navigate from location to location, off-loading at job sites, assisting with all gardening endeavours (planting, weeding, amending soil, watering, staking, trellising, pruning, mulching, harvesting, and more), interacting with clients and ensuring their specific gardening needs are addressed and realized, loading and preparing the vehicle to move to the next location, ensuring the job site is left clean, tidy, and beautiful, ensuring gardening tools and implements are well maintained, and much more. You may be asked to assist with selling at Farmers’ Markets, as well as help out with seedling care and inventory in our greenhouse. All staff will be required to assist in larger garden installations as needed. You may be required to complete up to five hours of on line health and safety training before employment commences.
SKILLS and ASSETS
- Some organic vegetable gardening experience, preferably supplemented with ornamental gardening experience
- A keen interest supplementing your existing knowledge about organic gardening methodologies including
- Companion planting
- Crop rotation
- Beneficial and invasive insect identification
- Viral, bacterial, and fungal disease identification and remediation
- Integrated pest management and other pest and disease prevention/management
- Soil maintenance, management, and amending
- Edible, ornamental, and weed plant identification
- Safe and proper use of a variety of hand-held gardening tools
- Passionate about growing food and the good food movement
- Good knowledge of Toronto, able to get yourself to a variety of locations on your own
- An excellent listener, able to take, follow through on direction from the Lead Gardener
- Able to work both cooperatively in a team, and independently
- Able to recognize opportunities for taking initiative and pursuing self directed tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A creative thinker with a keen eye for aesthetics
- Photography skills are an asset
- Able to interact comfortably with adults and children of all ages
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Valid D-class license; confident behind the wheel of a variety of vehicles, including small trucks, is an asset
- Able to maintain neat, tidy, and safe workspaces
- Physically fit, able to repeatedly lift and move loads of up to 50 pounds
- Tech and smart phone savvy
- Love of the outdoors, rain or shine
- Reliable and punctual
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is beneficial
We appreciate the interest of all those who apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.