Greenhouse and Farmers' Market Attendant
8 to 10 week contract starting mid-April 2017
Downtown Toronto and Farmers’ Market locations throughout the City
The Backyard Urban Farm Company is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout Toronto. Our mission is to ignite people’s passion for growing their own food and to help reconnect them with nature.
We are looking for inspired and inspiring, skilled, creative, energetic, committed, sociable, and self-motivated nature lovers to join us on our quest to make the world a better place, one beautiful garden at a time. If our mission excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you, not only for this season, but for years to come.
Your primary responsibilities as the BUFCO Greenhouse Assistant and Farmers’ Market Attendant is to receive seedlings as they arrive from our grower; maintain accurate seedling inventory; keep the greenhouse clean, neat, tidy, and well organized; tend to the seedlings (watering, observation for disease and pest infestations); implement disease and pest control processes using Organic methodologies; prepare seedling trays for client plantings and for sale at Farmers’ Markets, gather and load all elements required to set up the booth at various Farmers’ Markets, sell product and represent BUFCO at Farmers’ Markets, pack up and load the vehicle at the close of the Markets, return the vehicle and off-load appropriately at BUFCO greenhouse; manage a modest float. The BUFCO greenhouse is 26’x14’ and accommodates up to 6,000 seedlings per season.
- You must have a valid G-class driver’s license with clean driving record to apply for this job
- Experienced and comfortable driving a Cargo van (a.k.a. Panel van)
- Significant sales and/or customer service experience is required
- Hands-on gardening and/or greenhouse experience with a focus on vegetables/edibles
- Ability to recognize and identify a wide variety of edible plants, including in seedling stage
- Interest in and some practical experience with organic gardening methodologies
SKILLS and ASSETS
- Very comfortable and confident interacting with the public
- Able to manage cash, give correct change and balance a float at the end of market days
- Able to maintain a friendly and personable disposition even during stressful situations
- Experience with vegetable gardening using organic techniques is a huge asset
- Knowledge of vegetable plant families and varieties is a huge asset
- An excellent listener and a quick learner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Able to maintain neat, tidy, and safe workspaces
- Passionate about growing food and the good food movement
- Love of the outdoors, rain or shine
- Strong and physically fit, able to repeatedly lift and move loads of up to 50 pounds
- Photography skills are an asset
- Reliable and punctual
- Tech and smart phone savvy
- Knowledge of, or interest in Permaculture an asset
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is highly beneficial
We appreciate the interest of all those who apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.